Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Top Ten Tips for a Father Raising a Daughter

Recently, my parents were asked by three fathers of daughters about advice for how to raise a daughter. These men have a total of 10 daughters between them all so I think my parents were feeling a little inexperienced having only raised one. Be that as it may, I still found their answers to be ridiculous. 

My mom: They asked us for advice on how to raise a daughter.

I think she expected a sarcastic remark from me like, “Wow, they must be hard up for advice!”

But instead I asked, “What’d you say?”

My mom: “I don’t have any!”

I looked at my dad. “I didn’t have anything to say either!”, he exclaimed.

Me: “Well, that’s ridiculous! You could have said all kinds of things! Why would you say nothing?”

They had no response. Then it dawned on me. My parents don’t give advice and they certainly don’t brag about themselves. They just don’t.

So I went to my room and started writing. I came up with a list of 10 tips for how to raise a daughter. I tore it out of my notebook and handed it to my dad. 

I will list them below, Letterman style: 

The Top Ten Tips for a Father Raising a Daughter

10. When she wants to tell you something, listen with all of your attention.
 9. Love your daughter more than anyone else (be her biggest fan) and remind her that God    loves her infinitely more
 8. Don’t tell her that being happy is the most important thing
 7. Talk about money and how to use it wisely
 6. Instead of yelling, explain calmly
 5. Say yes as much as possible so the no’s have more significance
 4. Teach her what trustworthy and honest look like by being those things all the time
 3. Figure out what motivates her and use that to help her process decisions
 2. Treat her and her mom like you want others to treat her

And the number one tip for a father to raising a daughter…
 1. Love her mom well


My dad did all of these things, not perfectly, but he did them. And you wanna know who taught him? My mom.





1 comment:

  1. Most of us husbands learn how to be good fathers from our wives. God uses our wives and our kids to sanctify us.
    Good list! I wonder how different a "sons" list would be from a "daughters" list.

    ReplyDelete