Friday, December 12, 2014

Church at 30,000 ft.

Today I was flying and, due to there being no movie on the flight, decided to listen to a podcast on Romans 1:18-32. The sermon was exceptionally good but was hard to hear because it was about the fact that, left on our own, we not only worship ourselves but do terrible things to each other. As the preacher is listing many of the horrific examples of our utter and total depravity I am suddenly very aware that I'm sitting between two men and I'm traveling alone. It occurs to me to be fearful. And then, as though on cue, the man next to me starts singing Amazing Grace.

He can't possibly know what I'm listening to for two reasons: one-I'm using my earbuds and two-he's asleep! I noted this fact by using my masterful skills of deduction and observation. Also, he was snoring and drooling moments before and after the song. And his eyes were closed and... He was singing in his sleep, ok! The point is that he had no idea what I was going on in the seat 3cm from him.

But God, who is rich in mercy, knew exactly what was on my heart. You see, the man next to me shared with me earlier in the flight that he just lost his wife...yesterday. I was sitting there trying to figure out how to minister to him and he ministers to me, in his sleep no less! He had just suffered great loss yet he sings about God's grace. Tears filled my eyes as I imagined this was exactly the same hope the author of the old hymn was expressing when he penned the profound lyrics to "It is well with my soul". What a powerful reminder and incredible blessing. While I was dead, Christ made me alive by His grace. He loves me despite myself. He loves me and cares about the smallest details of my life. Amazing. Thank God there was no movie on that flight.


A few days after this flight God showed me an even deeper lesson...

God is bigger than my fears. Even if something horrific happens to me, He's still bigger than all of it. He can be trusted to be in control of everything. He is almighty God, maker of heaven and earth. He can breath life into dust and He can cue a sleeping man to sing of His amazing grace at the precise moment I needed comfort. He addresses my fears, He doesn't brush them off. He pays attention, always. "He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of His understanding." He is absolutely everything that I need.

1 comment: