Monday, March 11, 2013

Worst countdown ever


As I type the clock is counting down. 3 hours 10 minutes until I have to say goodbye to her. It is a uniquely painful feeling to know the day and hour of my dog’s death. She has been my constant companion for 10 1/2 years, for all of my adult life. all.of.it. 

Sure, she’s tried (and succeed) to escape now and then but she always comes back. always. When she follows me around, sits at my feet, and curls up next to me at night, I am no longer alone. I feel her presence and it calms me. She studies me, even now, seems to wonder what I’m doing and then sits down next to me, content because she knows where I am. I fill her bowl with food every morning just in case she gets hungry while I’m at work but she never eats until I’m home. 

It’s difficult to fathom how I will be motivated to get out of bed without her wet nose in my face to convey that urgency. I’m not even sure how I will get through this day. 

But because HE lives, I can face tomorrow and the next 2 hours and 54 minutes...

No comments:

Post a Comment